Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Absence makes the heart grow fonder…or South Africa in ten days

The title of this blog has more than one significance for me. For one thing, I've been away from my blog and blogland too long (why is life so busy?). For another, I've been away to a country and a friend I've missed sorely over the years and in that sense, I have probably grown even fonder of it than before.

For those I haven't seen on Facebook, I've just spent ten days in my beloved South Africa with my dearest and best friend, Moira (I wrote about our friendship back in 2007 here). It seems almost daft to talk about 'best friends' at my age, but Moi is one of those for whom time apart makes no difference. Within seconds of my arrival, we were giggling over absurdities just as we've always done.



We drove from Johannesburg to the midlands of Kwazulu Natal, a hauntingly beautiful part of the country, where we stayed in a self-catering 'chalet' (although what it had to do with quaint wooden houses and decks remained a mystery to me as in reality it was a full-sized house). Every morning of our stay, we got up, wrapped blankets around us and went onto the veranda overlooking the magnificent foothills of the Drakensberg. The early part of each day was chilly, but the sun shone in cloudless blue skies as we sat there talking, laughing and drinking coffee (or tea in Moi's case) accompanied from day one by the stable cat. She in fact moved in and never left, so Moi took her home to Jo'burg at the end of our stay with the blessing of the stables' owners.

We sat here every morning wrapped in blankets

View from our veranda
We did a few trips out, and a good deal of walking, but mostly we were there to relax and catch up. I wrote a diary during the week, and reading it back, I chuckle anew over the daft things we did: trying to reach the chalet car port by driving over the garden instead of the road (a rather bumpier ride than intended) and attempting to open up the house with the car keys (it was more like forcing an entry) were just two of them. We got the giggles like school girls, and one evening we were laughing so much over my cavalier attitude to cooking dinner, I had to dash to the loo before I had an embarrassing accident. 

We had some lovely walks. This retreat was on one route

A trip out to Giants Castle in the Drakensberg

Giants Castle reserve

The mighty Drakensberg

Trains - always a draw card for me
But then there were the incredible stars - the Milky Way seemed so close you felt could touch it, and the Southern Cross was like a vivid beacon, a true guiding light in the sky.  There were the fire-breaks and controlled burn-offs (plus some that were uncontrolled and scary) that I remember from living there myself. And there was the beauty of the scenery to make us stop in awe. Even more impressive was the Mandela Monument near Howick to remind us of what the country has been through. There were also the observations I made: for instance, people are so very open, helpful and friendly that for me, coming from this northern, more reticent culture, it was a wonderful reminder of SA's great (and justified) reputation for hospitality. Another observation was how things have changed to meet the new market demands there. I was highly entertained to notice that the clothes mannequins in the shop windows all had very pert, well rounded behinds - no longer the skinny European style models! As I said, local market demands…

An out of control burn off - scary!

The amazing sculpture of Mandela by Marco Cianfanelli

Lions River. This old house now houses
a sort of antique shop

Lastly there was the clear indication that while the affluence in SA is now much more evenly spread in terms of racial mix, there is sadly no real diminution of the numbers of desperately poor people. Many of these have come from neighboring countries - from economies crippled by conflict, drought and mismanagement - and are seeking a better life. Nevertheless, South Africa is not yet economically strong enough to cope and the pressure on its own infra-structures is showing. Power cuts are a regular occurrence with scheduled 'outages' of several hours several times a month. More and more, people are talking about 'going off the grid' and making their own electricity with solar power. 

To add to the problems, a failure in water management planning means that in some places 50% of the drinking water is lost 'in the pipeline' due to lack of maintenance and even theft. This, in a country prone to drought as well. These are challenges South Africa is facing. They are serious, and they will need to be addressed if the people are to move forward.

Water is often wasted in the (broken) pipelines
All said, though, and despite these issues that I discussed at length with Moi, it was a fabulous ten days and it did me a power of good to spend time with my Best Friend. I don't honestly know when I'll be able to go back again; there's no doubt I always leave a part of my heart there, so I'm sure it won't be too far off as I can never stay away for long.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you, Val, for sharing this with us! A visit to SA has been on my bucket list since I was a child. Alas, I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to cross that one off. In the meantime, visiting vicariously through you and your memories will have to suffice. Your feelings for SA shine through! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dale. I'm glad I can show my deep affection for the country and its people through my blog and photos xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, TT. I hoped you'd like it. I thought of you often while I was there xx

      Delete
  3. Val, I'm not sure, but think I know where you stayed? We have a time share there. do let me know where it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midlands Saddle and Trout, Lucinda. It is a time share! My friend subscribes to it. I'm still not sure how it works, but it seems to be pretty reasonable. And of course, this one is in such a beautiful place!! Is it the same one?

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful holiday you must have had.
    Marvellous and interesting tribute to Mandela too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it incredible? The museum there is fascinating as well. You follow his whole life from childhood to capture, imprisonment and release. It's very moving, Mel!

      Delete
  5. Oh the joy of friends - and thank you for tackling some of the difficult bits as well as the joys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difficult bits will take years to solve, Jo. I just pray the good will and determination to make things better will be sustained by all involved. What gives me hope is the nature of the people, which is to be enthusiastic and open.

      Delete
  6. How lovely to go to see your friend in S.A. Val. You had a wonderful time, I can tell! The mountains are spectacular, and the atmosphere looks similar to Australia. Love the sculpture of Mandela, so innovative. But how sad and worrisome about the water supply. In a land subject to drought, water supplies are absolutely key. I hope they can find a way to maintain and secure the system. We have several neighbours from South Africa, and it is interesting to see the land they came from. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great having best friends, even at our age. I have family in South Africa but I've never been, even though they keep urging me to visit. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Ros. It's very beautiful and a wonderful country.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for posting about your trip - fascinating to read & see your photos Valleypee. I love the sculpture of Nelson Mandela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sculpture was a highlight for me, Jane! And the museum!

      Delete
  9. The scenery is truly stunning, I love your pictures. I have very happy memories of my trip to SA and would love to go back someday. Isn't it wonderful to have a friend that you can just be 'you' with, a shared history and a common sense of humour is one of the best things ever xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. Yes. Moira and I go back so far, we are more like sisters than friends xxx

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you have managed a trip back Val. Your photos are lovely it must have been fun to be silly with your friend again,

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)