Saturday, March 10, 2012

Short stories? I've got plenty in store and in mind

A few months ago, I wrote a humorous story about a woman who realises she has to join the social media circus or else risk losing touch with her entire family. It was called the 21st Century Family and I published it here on my blog. This was not my first idea, however. The original story I was going to write was much darker, much more sombre, but I felt it would be too depressing for a blog post. The trouble is, I keep thinking about it and I really want to write it. Maybe I should just do it!

Anyhow, I had another idea for a story a few days ago, so maybe I will write that first. It starts with a girl standing at the traffic lights waiting to cross over. As the cars sweep past her, she notices a man in one of them. In that flash of a second, she captures a vivid image of him, which sets the story in motion. But that's all I'm going to tell you so I'll leave you to wonder what you think is going to happen next...

Something else that has excited me again is that I found a radio play I wrote years ago when I was in South Africa. It's called Cellular Fear. I don't know if it's any good at all as a play, but I thought I might turn that into a short story too, and then there's the play I wrote about two girls who meet on a train in South Africa and start talking. Eventually, they discover they grew up at the same time on the same farm: one of them the privileged daughter of the farmer himself and the other the daughter of one of the farm workers. Their memories of life are totally different, but the world around them was the same. Maybe I'll re-write that one too. Then one other story I wrote that I also found recently is one about a priest who rescues stray cats. It's kind of predictably sweet, but I really like it as a story. Seems I've got the makings of a bit of a collection here, doesn't it? At least by writing this post I won't forget the ideas I've had, which is always a risk with someone of my advancing years...

Now I've just got to have the time to write more! Roll on the summer!

13 comments:

  1. I can feel a book coming on here! Seriously, I know that it s sometimes harder to write a short story than a novel, it s a real art. I would love to read all these stories and you have already left us on a cliffhanger! Just waiting for my Skippers Child to arrive xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, thank you! That's so sweet of you. I shall just have to give up teaching and write full time....I wish! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the Skipper's Child, though. It's so different from Watery Ways. By the way, did I mention that Sunpenny are going to publish that too? If I did, forgive me, but I post things here, there and everywhere these days, and I forget now what I've said where. I'm very excited about it, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for trying to change things up and aiming to write some short stories. I wrote one or two in my younger days, but found it wasn't what I was best at. I am too wordy, on the page and in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Marie, I changed my background as an experiment and found I couldn't get my old one back again I don't really like this, but don't have time to fiddle with it any more today. Thanks for the encouragement, though! I don't know when I will ever have time to write these stories, but at least I've got a list of ideas now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val, I am impressed, as always. The stories of a writer just milling around the brain. What a gift.
    Brilliant :)


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you dear Grace. It's what I think about when I'm cycling to work..lol...you've got to do something in the only free time you have, even if it's just thinking :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Val, how great that it's positive thinking.!:)
    (I should learn to do that, rather than worry).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Val, such a fantastic new blog design. I love it. Stefan xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 21st Century Family story was brilliant. I think you need to put all the short stories together in a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace, if I didn't dream up stories, I would be worrying too :)

    Hey Stefan!! Thanks for dropping in again! Glad you like my new look :)

    Stu, from the master story teller himself, I take that as a real compliment. Thank you! I need to get writing if I'm going to make a book of short stories, don't I? So, what will it be...I will if you will :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes my head spin.
    You have so many fabulous ideas!
    When I write, it's usually something I've come up with in the instant. I admire your ability to think and plan ahead - and to be able to stick with it!
    I look forward to many good reads!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm having a difficult time proving I'm not a robot ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dale!!!! So vey lovely to see you here. I've missed you so! Come back to blogdom...please?

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)