Monday, June 15, 2009

It's a busy old life

It's Monday again, and I'm left wondering where the time has gone. Everything's so busy at the moment, and it's not about work either.

We're back in Rotterdam after a weekend trying to sort out leaky gutters in the cottage and faulty steering on the poor little Hennie H. With the former, we've had some luck (I hope). On Sunday morning, the rain was streaming down the kitchen walls. VallyP was not amused, so I took photos and sent them to the builder. He arrived later in the afternoon full of apologies and promptly scaled the ladder armed with some serious skirting which he has now glued into place. I am fairly confident this will at last do the trick.

As for the Hennie H, Koos thought he had fixed the broken steering, only to take it out for a test and find the same problem occurring again - it can only turn in one direction...not very helpful unless we plan to confine ourselves to a a life of "go left, my friend, go left." so it's back to the drawing board and a new plan next week. It has to be fixed soon as it is going to the yard in Zelzate at the beginning of July, and we will have a lot of work to do there.

This week, the Vereeniging will be moving to the neighbouring Haringvliet. I shall miss seeing it here, but it will be quieter for Mo and Craig there, and when they buy their own boat - something that looks to be sooner rather than later - I shall have the pleasure of moving there myself. We have a new loopplank arriving tomorrow for the Luxor, so that the one we use now (belonging to the Vereeniging - see below) can go with it. Even so, it needs some welding to make a proper support for it. Anther wee job for our Koos...

At the moment, we are comfortable on the Luxor, and I still have plenty to keep me busy here too. Below is a recent pic of its interior and a couple of nice family pics that Koos took.







And here are a few more pics of the Luxor's interior with my 'office' space and the rest of it. Still lots to be done by way of fixtures and fittings, but it is fairly cosy now with a decent shower and loo too!







Sorry about the blurriness of the kitchen pic. I should have put it on a hard surface as I didn't use the flash.

Have a good week, all.

6 comments:

  1. ooh, raining in the kitchen is never a good thing Val! Sorry to hear about that, good thing taking pictures so the contractor cannot say it never happenend!

    when it rains it pours, huh? no pun intended. I hear ya, the weeks just seem to be flying by. No sooner have I posted at my blog, and it is another week. Seems my time is just being eaten up by, well..work mostly. But...not complaining, that is a good thing.

    Koos is right, the best camera does not always make the best photo, it is all in the eye behind the lens!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Val, sorry to hear about all the leaks. We are having pour own leak problems with the outdoor hot tub that comes with the deck and yard. We invested all sorts of money two weekends ago to fix the jets, get it drained and cleaned, etc... only to discover that we may have one or more leaks. Mucho dinero to get it fixed, and what choice is there when it's one of the reasons you love your backyard? Also, the jets are great for the shoulder... We have the "leak guy" coming over Wednesday night to see if it is a simple or more complex problem.

    I have to tell you, the interior of the Luxor looks so different from when we were there. I see your hand in the new look, very nice.

    Have a great week!

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this must mean you are not getting a heck of a lot of time to write! ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Grace. It's always good to have some empathy! I'll look forward to more of your lovely photos though and that will keep me smiling ;-)

    Anne Marie, that's so disappointing! Leaks in your hot tub that brings you so much comfort...and fun ;-) I do hope the 'leak man' will be able to find a simple inexpensive solution to the problem. As annoying as a dripping tap, no? Thanks for the kind words about the Luxor. I have had a hand in it but so has Mo. She did a lot while she and Craig were living in it, but I'm quite proud of the fact it has a decent shower and toilet not and is painted up with some of my own pictures on the walls too. I'll have to take a pic of my office area too and post that.

    String. I will write some mroe soon. I WILL! It has been hard to find the time just recently though ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, there's a few more photos of the developments at the cottage on my graafjansdijk blog, including one of the rain running down the kitchen wall and all the damp patches at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val!
    Just popping by to let you know I'm thinking of you.
    From my busy life to yours...
    I will read this when I have more time.

    ...and I promise to return full swing in 14 days or so!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)