Sunday, February 08, 2009

Looking forward



In a matter of a few weeks - about seven in fact - I will be stopping work for a few months. Work as in teaching and anything for which I get paid. It's a little scary to think I won't have an income again until September, but that's one of the reasons I've been working so intensively recently. Hopefully it means I've truly earned myself the time off!

The purpose of the break is to do two things: firstly, I want to do some serious work on my Vereeniging. I'm determined to finish the interior (how many times have I said that these past months?). I started it last summer after having the steel put in the sides, and haven't got any further than putting up the wooden panelling over the new insulation. Then I also want to be able to paint it completely this year, instead of the bits and pieces I managed between the showers at the weekends last year. I have a stint on the slipway booked for the beginning May, and in theory, I should have a brightly shining little barge by the end of the spring. After that, I'm hoping we can do some travelling - by water, air and road. I've promised to visit my friend Marion in Spain for a long weekend (but I might do that earlier rather than later), and then Koos would like to go to Poland again, but this time together. I'd also really love to take the Vereeniging and do at least one trip to Utrecht and the canals for which it was built, and maybe we can drive down to France and find our Philip wherever he happens to be. Then of course, there's the Hennie H that needs some work, and Koos's Luxor too before he decides to sell it.

I'm so looking forward to the break I can hardly wait. There are books waiting to be read, music to be played and writing to be done too. Even so, the little house in Zeeland is also calling for some attention...so much to do! Will I fit it all into five months? I hope so. The way I'm planning things, the days will need to be twenty five hours long and some, and I may just find I'm being a tad too enthusiastic or at least over optimistic! Still, I'll do my best to make it worth it...I will, I will, I will!!

10 comments:

  1. Apparently there is no such thing as coincidence...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry it took so many tries to get eight words right

    ReplyDelete
  3. What ambitious plans, Val! I hope you get to do it all and more!

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello darling Vally. Sorry for the long absence - only just getting back into many things after a lovely long summer break. I am glad to come here and see you show no signs of slowing down your hectic schedule! I'ssure your beautiful barge will look magnificent after such a protracted period of loving attention.

    I have much catching up to do with you, but I've wasted a lot of time this morning putting up a nwe post and I now have to do some work. Sadly, it's not a very happy post, but we are all well and lucky, so on a personal level all is good. Talk soon - love to Koos and Sindy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val, you deserve the time off. And all the things you want to accomplish are waiting for you!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dale? Are you alright dear one? ;-)

    Thanks Anne Marie, I'm going to do my best, that's for sure.

    Margie, how wonderful to see you again. I've read your post over Koos's shoulder and will be over soon to express my own horror at what's been going on. We hear now there have been some arrests?

    Grace, bless you for the good wishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I am alright, Val. A little jaded and faded, but I will be okay. I sent an e-mail to your rivergirl address.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know... just your description makes me envious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, all of that in five months?
    sounds great, though. please, val, let me know if you find a way to increase the number of hours per day to 25 or more...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey mama! well hopefully you will have the Luxor to move into so that the vereeniging can get it's makeover and you can retreat to a ship that is not under restoration in the evenings...i.e. Hope we will be in our housie too by then!!!!! YEY!
    Love MoMo XXXX

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)