It's two weeks since I last posted here and I'm not quite sure why I haven't. It's been busy, of course, but that's normal. The education year has started again and I've been making some extra efforts to find work, something which is in slightly short supply at the moment for me as a freelancer, so I've been writing emails and updating my CV and generally putting the word out for my availability. Doing all that has definitely taken up some time.
People often ask me when I intend to retire fully and the honest answer is that I don't know. For one thing, I enjoy what I do very much. I love the contact I have with students and researchers as I find it stimulating to learn about their studies, their subjects and their opinions. The discussions are lively and it does me good to be challenged by these younger, eager minds. I might not agree with them; I sometimes don't, but being part of the debate stops me from stagnating and vegetating. That has to be a plus, doesn't it?
The other aspect is financial. Without going into detail, I came to the Netherlands too late to receive a full pension and because of the time I've been away from the UK, I am not entitled to any money from when I worked there. As for South Africa, there was (maybe still is) no reciprocal pension arrangement with Europe, and anyway, I've been away from there too long as well. Had I been financially savvy, I'd have organised myself much earlier, but I wasn't, so I just have to live with the situation. Working fills the gap and so I'll carry on teaching as long as I keep on enjoying it. After that? Well, we'll see.
So what about writing more, you might ask. It's a good question. I love writing, but it's my hobby and I've never wanted to make it my job. Okay, I worked in marketing and communications for many years, but then I was writing to order for a company. I loved that too, but it's very different from writing books and trying to market them yourself. I've never wanted my books to be 'products' and I'm hopeless at self promotion, so that wouldn't work for me. Besides, to write professionally would mean spending hours at my computer and I'm far too fidgety for that. Everyone in my sphere knows I can't sit still for more than fifteen minutes. That aside, I have a barge (make that two) to look after, which brings me to the title of this blog...see, you knew I'd get there eventually, didn't you?
A few blogs ago, I mentioned that the weather had been very harsh on Vereeniging's hull this past year. She was out of the water for three weeks in 2025 and looked beautiful when we brought her back to the harbour at Sas van Gent. However, the hard winds, storms and extreme heat of this summer reduced the shiny top coat on the hull to a cracked and flaking mess. It was horribly disappointing.
So I had an idea that I cooked up with daughter #1. If we bought another little rowing boat, we could both repaint the hull down to the waterline within a day. Enter Blue (or Bluey as he is now called), the little boat I wrote about in my last post. A couple of days after Bluey's arrival, we descended on Vereeniging with a five-litre pot of hull paint, pulled both Bluey and Grey (the little boat we already had) into the water and took a side each. We had already scraped and sanded all the flaking paint off, so now it was a matter of very carefully rolling new hull paint on to avoid any drips into the water.
I can report that Bluey is not quite as spotless as he was on arrival and Grey is also well spattered with black, but we did it and Vereeniging has a bit more protection now against the winter furies. She may not be shiny, but at least her hull is painted again. Daughter #1 and I, however, were splattered in black and exhausted at the end of the day. It took us both some time to recover. The muscles needed to keep the boats in place while painting in a harbour with busy water were worth a fortune in workouts.
As you can see, then, this is one reason why I could not sit and write fulltime for a living. The other reason is in the photos below. Well, not really, but Zoe needs walks despite her own conviction that she doesn't. A lazier and more reluctant dog I have yet to meet. She much prefers to snooze in this corner of the sofa. 😄
Tomorrow and every day that the weather allows and work permits this month, we'll be doing more paintwork on both Vereeniging and Hennie H, but for now, I'll wish you all a great week, allemaal and hope to have more updates on life here in the flatlands soon.






What a pain (x 6) about the pension situation! I sympathise - we don't think about that sort of thing when we're younger, do we? But for those of us who aren't financially orientated, I will say the same as I tell myself - as long as we have the means to do the things we must, we'll be okay. God will provide a way, even if times are a bit meagre now and then!
ReplyDeleteBoat looks fabulous! xxx
You're absolutely right, TT. I'm with you completely. Vereeniging says thank you! :) xxx
Deletesorry to hear about the pension situation, not sure I could cope with such a fragile income!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jaye. I just adjust to the circumstances. It's fine and I manage! xx
DeleteZoe is so cute. I'm with her ...lekker lekker. With that said, I've been traipsing around Amsterdam and Haarlem these past three days with visiting son #1 and daughter-in-law.
ReplyDeleteIt's been fun but I've also been doing it all on a sprained toe. Never complained but only limped a bit. And now I'm exhausted.
Your barge looks so shiny now. Good work, guys! - Sherry Gallagher
Oh poor you, Sherry! How did you do that? Not to worry. We shall have coffee again soon and you can tell me then. But I understand about how exhuasting socialising can be, however much you love your visitors!
DeleteYou and daughter #1 have done a fabulous job. What a lot of hard work, Val. You amaze me.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about writing. It’s a lovely hobby, but there’s real life to get on with, which I so enjoy. I too, don’t ever want writing to be a job and certainly wouldn’t make a living out of it.
Regardless of your financial situation, you always come across so positively and such a decent and kind person, who champions others constantly. A beautiful trait.
Take care and keep living your best life. Xxx
Ah thank you, Annemarie. What a lovely thing to say! I will definitely keep living my best life as much as possible. xxx :)
DeleteWow! What great team painting! And Zoe is so lovely and cute - even when she's snoozing. We have a lot in common, Val. Not being able to sit still, not good at book promotions - although you are much better than I am! And...the work situation. If I had stayed in the U.S. and kept the fantastic job I had - I would now have a great retirement. However, I gave it up to marry Alan and am paying for it in the pocketbook now. However, I am thankful to the Lord for the way He supplies everything I need and having the money to bring Savannah with me to the U.S. when I leave makes everything enough. Although, as you can attest yourself - more book sales would be marvelous! And I hope we both get them! (Steph)
ReplyDeleteAs TT says, Steph, the Lord will provide when necessary. I just know you will be so happy to be going home. Hopefully, you can build up your own resources again. Big hugs! xxx
DeleteI've not been keeping up with your blog Val so comments are late, apologies. I've also neglected my blo and may resume posts soon, perhaps when the darker days return. Which wont be long now.
ReplyDeleteYour barge looks tip top after the painting and Zoe looks very relaxed. Whoever coined the phrase "it's a dogs life" was spot on. David and Popcorn
David, I'll look forward to your renewed blogging very much! It definitely is a dog's life in our house, and a very good one it is too! :)
DeleteGosh Val, what a marvellous job you both dod on painting Vereeniging - not an easy task at all I imagine! Great teamwork. as she looks lovely. I do hope all your letter writing brings some rewards (jobs) Shame about your ( lack of ) pension. It's easy not to think of it when you are young. I had to laugh at Zoe being lazy & reluctant. I'm sure she enjoys a good sniff when she is persuaded out! She really is adorable.
ReplyDeleteAh thank you, Rebecca, the painting was hard work but fun at the same time. :) Re the pension, it is what it is, as they say, but I am blessed to enjoy what I do and the work is trickling in now. Happy me! Zoe is incorrigible, but I adore her! xxx
DeleteHi Val and thank you for your blog. Vereenig looks fabulous now. Hope the weather will be kind to her, and your aching muscles. It seems just the other day when we were young and not many, if any, of us gave a thought to being old and needing a pension. All being well, the work will now come rolling in and you will be ok. Zoe is so adorable it must be rather difficult not to cuddle her all the time. 😁
ReplyDeleteHaha, yes, Lorraine. And I was never a very sensible young person either. I would never have found myself in SA if I had followed the standard path, so no regrets from me at all and I really do enjoy my work. It is as it is and all will be well! Yes, about Zoe. She is way too cute for her own good! 😆 xx
DeleteSo sorry about the financials, Val. I have everything crossed for you that work continues for as long as you wish is to. Mind you, ahem, don't let it get in the way too much. We're ripe for the next Val volume! :D
ReplyDeleteYou and daughter #1 have done a masterful job. You must have Popeye muscles by now! :D As for Zoe. Bless her, that lass knows how to realax. :D xxxxx
Thank you, my friend. I only mentioned it because so many people ask me why I don’t retire, but it’s honestly nothing to be sorry about. I love what I do. 🥰 Zoe has developed snoozing into a fine art, hasn’t she? 😂 xxxxx
DeleteHard work Val but you guys did it. She will survive the hard winter now. Can you imagine having your bottom immersed in water for the rest of your life in all kinds of conditions.
ReplyDeleteI wondered when I was younger whether ‘it’s a dogs life’ was in the affirmative or the negative. I think Zoe has it sorted. You are definitely glass half full kinda gals. X
It is a real bummer when you don’t realize you will need more pension money!! I was lucky and didn’t really start retirement saving until I was about 50 and did really well—BUT—if I hadn’t become handicapped I definitely would be spending most of it on travel—Bummer for both of us—so lucky you have a daughter to help you
ReplyDeleteHi Val. Your life mirrors mine in so many ways. I too have a small pension, still work in the schools and love the engagement plus the extra dollars help a lot. I don't think I could sit and do nothing all day, and like you, my writing is more of a hobby. Thank goodness you have your boats, your partner and daughters to keep you busy. And of course, the cute Zoe!
ReplyDeleteHa Ha, like that picture of snoozing in this corner
ReplyDelete