Monday, January 29, 2024

The grave(yard)'s a fine and quiet place

My apologies for the title of this blog in advance, but when I tell you why I was reminded of that specific line in Andrew Marvell's poem*, To His Coy Mistress, I hope you'll forgive me. 

It's now 16 years since I first came to the village where we have the Crumbly Cottage, and although I've often been in the church, I have, until this past week, never visited its churchyard. I'm not quite sure why; I usually like churchyards because of the local history they can reveal. I also like them for the peace they exude, so it's quite surprising that in all these years I've not ventured through the gates and wandered around.

I also don't know what prompted me to visit it this particular week, but when I was walking Zoe the other morning, I suddenly felt impelled to see it. Maybe it was as simple as wanting somewhere slightly different to walk from our usual circuit, but whatever pushed me through the gates, I'm very pleased it did.

The first surprise was a poignant memorial stone to all those from the village who'd lost their lives either during or as a result of WWII. Eight residents in a small community would have hit the local people quite hard, I imagine. Given that the Netherlands was occupied for the duration of the war, it's hard to  know how they died, but it was sobering to think that even in this quiet corner of the country, so many were lost. I can only speculate that maybe they were in the resistance, or perhaps they challenged the occupying forces in some way, or maybe they were deported. I would have to research that further, but it moved me to encounter the memorial just beyond the entrance.


The memorial and list of those who died

The second surprise was how neat and well tended the whole churchyard was. All the graves looked as if they were regularly visited and lovingly cared for. The grass was mown and the paths completely weed free. Whoever is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance does a marvellous job, as do all those whose relatives lie within its lovely grounds. Zoe and I spent some time strolling along the pathways, reading the touching messages on the headstones (well, I did, not Zoe of course) and sitting for a few minutes on one of the many benches available for those who just want to absorb the peace.

Everything is well tended

The walls of remembrance.

The churchyard is in a beautiful setting as well. Beyond it are fields backed with trees. There's no noise, no cars and no buildings in sight when looking out over the meadows, all of which adds to the tranquillity. 

A peaceful place to sit awhile

In a few months, the trees will be in leaf, which will give the
yard a fuller, more verdant appearance

On our way out

So yes, my visit brought the line in Mr Marvell's poem to mind. Our churchyard is indeed a fine and quiet place and I went home glad I'd taken that step through the gate. Now, of course, I'm also inspired to find out more about the history of the local families whose headstones I read.

It just goes to show that you don't have to travel far to find both peace and inspiration, do you? It's often remarkable how much we can overlook on our own doorsteps. Just a small diversion from my normal route resulted in this humbling and uplifting experience.

So that's it for this blog. Wishing you all a good week allemaal. Wherever you are, I hope the weather's being kind...we're counting the days till spring here.

* I read the poems of Andrew Marvell and his contemporaries in metaphysical poetry for my English Literature degree. I'm usually hopeless at remembering quotes, but that line obviously struck me as I've never forgotten it!

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely graveyard it is, Val. It is so neat and orderly, with variety in the sightlines. A great place to go for a peaceful walk, and the inscriptions must indeed be interesting. I have wondered how the people in the Netherlands ever survived WW11 - so sad to lose those members of the village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree, Trish. The Dutch suffered terribly from the oppression of the occupation. It was an awful time, with so many Dutch people of all backgrounds being deported to labour camps or being rounded up and shot. It chills me every time I read about it. But yes, the churchyard was a beautifully peaceful place.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blog, Val. Thanks for the true reflection. We really don't need to roam far afield to find beauty, peace, and inspiration. And reading your blogs is always an inspiration. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Steph. It really is true and that churchyard exudes the tranquillity of those at peace, which is inspiring in itself. It was lovely.

      Delete
  3. Hi Val - lovely line from Andrew Marvell for this post - perfect in the circumstances. As you say - very neat and well tended ... and yes the churchyards can be fascinating ... as well as the interiors. Excellent you studied English Lit - lots of memories - even if only reference ones, to remind you. I'm now into that learning mode, not having had any studying advantage. Great - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, thank you. I enjoy learning now, but regret I only did it to achieve my degree when I was young. I often think I should have waited a few years before doing my degree. I'd have got much more from it. We had the massive advantage of free education back then; it's so much more expensive now, and I feel sorry for anyone setting out on a university education these days. I'd actually love to do a history degree; it really is where my deepest interest lies. However, reading and researching is always possible, so I spend a lot of my time doing just that. The churchyard is going to get another visit. Definitely!

      Delete
  4. I used to visit small village churches to photograph them, especially the interiors. But I can't remember ever looking around the churchyards. Lots of history and interest in them.
    The exception would be "The Old Cemetery" adjacent to St. James's Church at Louth. Redundant many years ago the headstones were removed, the graves levelled and the area landscaped to make a very attractive park with views of the church through the trees. All headstones have been stood up around the perimeter and have inscriptions from centuries before and although some have almost weathered away, they make fascinating reading.
    I have color slides of the area but hope to go back this year to photograph it again.
    Lovely to see Zoe enjoying her walk, hope she's well again now, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, that's even more reason for me to visit Louth. I'm pleased to hear they kept the headstones which do, as you say, have so much local history contained in them. I believe that in London, many churchyards have been 'converted' to parks, but they've left the old headstones standing. St Pancras Gardens, which we visited last time we were in London, is one of these. I rather liked the fact that it was both a park and a graveyard. The peace was palpable.

      Delete
    2. PS: yes, Zoe is fine now, apart from her ongoing allergy issue. Did your Cavaliers suffer from allergies at all?

      Delete
  5. No, neither of them had allergies but they had panchreatitus in their latter years

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, whenever I visit the graveyard where my parents are, I feel great peace and comfort. I often get answers to questions as if I'm talking with them. Rest In Peace speaks volumes. Love your post, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lynn. I love it too. I'm so pleased you also find peace talking to your parents.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)