Wednesday, August 03, 2022

While we wait

I've been putting off writing this post for the reason that soon no one's going to believe we even want to go away on the boat. Of course, that's just me, and I know you know we do, but as has been happening on a regular basis this year, the fates are conspiring to stop us.

Poor Koos. After all the work that he's put into the engine, it's finally running well, but now it's his own engine that's not doing so good. Without going into details, we've just spent the last week getting to know ambulance paramedics, doctors' waiting rooms and the hospital emergency ward rather better than we'd like. The diagnosis is still escaping the medics and he's waiting on an invitation for further tests. However, he's feeling a lot better now and our fingers are still firmly crossed that we'll get away before too long, but we need to feel confident that it's safe to do so first.

In the meantime, when Koos was at the doctor the other day, I made a local discovery that bowled me over. I've always known there was an industrial museum in Sas van Gent, but it's been one of those places I've put on the back burner because it's always there. I opted to go for a stroll while I was waited for Koos. As I walked up the road, I suddenly noticed the museum and decided on impulse to pay it a visit.

What an amazing and rewarding surprise it was. I don't think I've ever seen such a wonderful collection of old factory machines, all beautifully restored and in perfect working order. The museum caters for children and as far as possible the machines can be put into operation so the youngsters can see and learn how the work. Well, I don't know about kids, but my inner child lit up and I was absolutely riveted.

The entire display represents the industry that used to be in the area, including a sugar factory, flour mills, a coke plant and a sweet factory. 

The main display hall

A roller mill for wheat crushing. Apparently, 13 of these could
crush 180,000 kgs of wheat a day. That's quite a number!

A centrifuge (spin dryer?) for separating starch from the maize

This amazing machine, built in 1957, was used to extract starch from maize. For this, the corn had first to be soaked. It was then ground and the maize and its bran were separated. What remained after that was a raw starch milk, from which the starch was separated using these centrifuges, a process which was repeated several times to achieve the highest concentration and purity.


And this, believe it or not is part of a sweet-wrapping machine,
from the Confiserie Naploeon, a local confectionary factory

I also enjoyed the displays showing the different sources of the electricity produced in Zeeland. One entire wall explained how electricity is produced from coal, gas, water, wind, biomass waste products, solar and nuclear power. Of course, many of these sources are used to create steam which in turn is used to generate the electicity. The magnificent steam generator below was one such that was used until 1999 at a coke factory in nearby Sluiskil. It was running while I was there and made some very impressive wheezing and puffing sounds as its monster pistons thrust to and fro (see bottom picture). As for the flywheel, well, I've never seen anything so magnificent!





There was plenty more to see and much I haven't included or described here, but I was quite smitten and plan to go back again when the opportunity arises. For a small town like Sas, this museum packs a real punch and I can highly recommend it if anyone is ever in the area.

So that's it from me for this time. Enjoy the rest of your week allemaal and I'll keep you posted on our vacillating vacation! Who knows what I'll have to say next time, but fingers crossed it will be from elsewhere and not here.



 

24 comments:

  1. Wow, where is the museum, we never found it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's close to the roundabout at the bottom of the bridge :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing these interesting machines, and looking forward to hearing from you again from elsewhere. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mitos. I need to catch up with you soon too!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Val. I'm so sorry about Koos. I will pray for him - and you, too, of course, and for your trip. Meanwhile, thank you for your blog and the photos. What an amazing idea someone had to create that beautiful and fascinating museum. Will be hoping that your next blog will be on your well deserved trip. God bless. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph, dear. The museum really lifted my spirits on the day I visited.

      Delete
  4. Sending very best wishes to Koos for a return to full health. And to you both for happy faring when he is well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks for the kind thoughts, Helen xx

      Delete
  5. Oh Val, I'm so sorry to hear about Koos's health problems. You have my sincere sympathy when you say about getting to know ambulance paramedics, hospitals etc. far better than you wanted to. It's so unsettling to not be in control of things and to have to hand control over to someone else. Luckily they are always wonderful. The paramedics who came to see Peter were as always (this has happened numerous times before) superb and very reassuring. I'm sure the same is true of Dutch ones. Sending best wishes to you both and keeping my fingers crossed that they find out what the problem is soon. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cath. I know you’ve had only too recent experience of this too and yes, the paramedics were simply wonderful. I couldn’t fault them even if I wanted to. Amazing! Thank you so much for the very kind thoughts. Xx

      Delete
  6. First and foremost, Koos is in our thoughts. Fingers crossed that it's nothing terribly serious, and do let us know how he's doing.

    If I had known that was nearby when we visited, it would have been hard to get me out of there! Impressive, and it looks like it is in an old power house. Val, centrifuges... Think cream separator, like the old hand cranked ones a dairy farmer would use, and you're on the right track. They separate a lighter weight liquid from a heavier one by "amplifying" gravity via centrifugal force, and it's a flow through, continuous process. We had them on our boats; they were the first cleaning process for fuel coming out of the tanks, removing any water and dirt. We cleaned them once a week, a pretty gross job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the good wishes, Tom. I’ll keep you posted! And yes, you’d have loved the museum, I’m sure. I never knew they used centrifuges to clean fuel on ships! Wow. I like the comparison with a cream separator. :)

      Delete
  7. I do hope Koos is soon on the mend. You don't appreciate good health until it lets you down. I love wandering round museums but have never come across one with such massive exhibits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks, Ros. That steam generator was absolutely massive, a real beast of a machine. The museum definitely ticked my boxes for interesting exhibits and displays.

      Delete
  8. Hope Koos is better soon - a worrying time. Steph Gaunt aka Battleaxe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, Stephanie. I know you know how it goes. Hoping all is well with the Philospher now!

      Delete
  9. Hi Val - sad to read this post ... but he's in good hands - both the medics and you ... I sincerely hope all is going better.

    That museum looks delightful - what fun ... especially for those who understand the mechanics - I hope you can go back soon, in easier times.

    All the very best to you both - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hilary! Lovely to see you here.I have a feeling you’d have been as thrilled with the museum as I was!

      Delete
  10. I hope Koos gets sorted quickly so you can get away on your boat. The industrial museum looks really interesting,just the sort of thing that I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, David. He’s a lot better now, so hopefully we’ll be able to get away soon. The museum was a real treasure that’s been under my nose for years. I’m so glad I’ve seen it now.

      Delete
  11. I thought I'd already commented! Val, I'm so sorry to hear of your continuing problems. I do hope Koos recovers soon, and that you're soon both able to get out and enjoy yourselves. Fingers crossed for good water levels. They're getting bad here, and there are more than a few closures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Roger. Koos has just been in hospital for a stent, so he should be fit to fare again soon. We’ll salvage what’s left of the summer, water shortages permitting.

      Delete
  12. Fascinating article as always Val, but sorry to hear of Koos' health travails. Wishing a speedy diagnosis and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Annie. He's on the mend now, another ambulance and a new stent later :)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)