Monday, May 13, 2019

Musical boats

Last week, we spent more time at 'home' in the Oude Haven than usual. Normally, I'm there alone as it's my base while I'm in Rotterdam for work, but Koos has joined me the last couple of weeks to do some jobs on the engine and also to move the Vereeniging while I was at work.

Where we started

The usual lineup
The reason we had to move was to make space for an event in the harbour last Thursday. Seven of the barges had to get out of the way to leave enough room for the games to take place. To be honest I still don't know what the games were, but they involved lots of loud music and what looked like plastic bouncing castles floating around in the water.


Where we spent Wednesday and Thursday night (access was interesting)

Anyway, I missed all the fun because I had courses to teach at the university and an exam session on Friday...both days when the moving had to be done. Luckily Koos loves playing musical boats and was only too happy to steer the Vereeniging from one side of the harbour to the other on my behalf. This is even more fortunate given that he's much better and more practised at it than I will ever be. Since I mostly don't know my left from my right, a situation compounded when trying to reverse and made even more confusing by the added effects of a strong wind, strange currents and the Vereeniging's own steering quirks, I was actually relieved I could skulk away and leave it to him.

And back 'home' again on Friday, but moored against my other neighbour
for the weekend.
But back to the reason for the change, it might seem bizarre to some that we have to disrupt our lives for a one day happening. However, it's actually good to move now and then. It reminds us of why we live on boats in the first place. I quite often move a few metres one way and another as neighbours come and go but to cross the harbour or go to one of the neighbouring harbours gives such a different perspective and I really liked it, even though getting on and off in this case was more of a challenge; we had to climb over the two big neighbouring barges to get to the pontoon, and then up a short but very steep gangplank to reach the quay–the barge version of an obstacle course with ropes, rigging, masts and other assorted up-trippers.  That aside, I even wished we could have stayed for a few days but that would have hemmed both other neighbours in, so back we had to go.

Anyway, in the course of this exercise, it gave Koos a chance to check his solution to the problem with the fuel supply to the engine. In previous tests, it ran for up to half an hour and then just stopped for no apparent reason. This happened even sooner when increasing the revs; in fact, instantly. It just died. After bleeding it and establishing all the lines were clear, it still stopped, so the last possibility was the fuel filter. 

To our amazement, when that was by-passed, the engine ran and kept on running without a hitch. Koos's conclusion: the fuel filter was too big and created too much resistance. He promptly ordered a new one which he will be fitting this week and next weekend, we hope to test it out on a short trip to celebrate my coming of age....I won't say what age as it's much too high a number already, but think in terms of Beatles' songs..."When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now...doo-bi-doo-bi-doo."

Have a good week allemaal. The sun is shining; now we just need some strength to it so I can remove some of these layers!

PS During the write-up of this blog, I have learnt that the local council have closed our slipway for good. We thought we had 18 months from last May to prove it was still viable, but they have decided to axe it now. It seems they don't want to spend the money on supporting it, despite the number of visitors it draws to the area from which all the cafés benefit. Such is the power of the profit and loss accounts. It's a very sad time for all of us who live here.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Val - glad Koos could help out and he's found the fuel challenge, which he'll fix. Yes the weather thankfully has changed at last ... now for some Spring and Summer sun - when we can get out and about for long days. Happy Birthday next weekend ... it's not so bad! Same as last year actually, and a few years ahead!! A nuisance about the slip way - is there an alternative? Take care and enjoy the birthday time - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary! I would generally prefer to forget my birthday, but on the other hand, any excuse for a celebration! As for the slipway, we'll have to see. The only other one is about 50kms away, definitely not a 'just job'!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Val, and never fear, life goes on just the same! I passed that milestone long ago... Koos is a real talent - so pleased he worked it out, but what a disappointment re the slipway. It does sound like fun moving about and changing your place in the neighbourhood, something we landlubbers cannot do. Your harbour is so pretty, and, ta da: Cubist houses sighting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! With every passing year, I am grateful to be able to do everything I still do without aches, pains or other problems, so I'm not worried about it, but would prefer to forget it all the same! Yes, Koos is clever and we had fun and hope to have more fun shortly now it's going again :)

      Delete
  3. Life is certainly not dull for you Val. I like how you just take it all in your stride apart from the slipway being closed. Maybe people power can help but councils are always so crafty, there will be a hidden reason somewhere. Enjoy your birthday celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. We haven't given up yet; at least I don't think so. But you're right about councils... such is life!

      Delete
  4. Val, is there anyway all of y'all could organize and get together to protest this closure or to put some numbers out on the tourism your historical barges bring in? On a happier note...air castles on the water? I would love that! Happy, Joyful Birthday to you. You are eternally young and beautiful. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too, Steph. I still need to find out what efforts are being made as regards the helling; we have to keep trying, don't we? And bless you for the birthday message. It will be fun and I'm hoping for a nice spuddle at least :)

      Delete
  5. That is upsetting indeed about your slipway. I visited your area (and saw the boat - closed up - during the winter of 2017 when I was in Rotterdam, as you might remember me mentioning... and I agree that the surrounding businesses must get a lot out of having you there. I don't understand if this means you will eventually have to move? I do hope not. It is such a great location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, it doesn't meant we'll have to move, not yet anyway, but it means we'll have to go about 50kms upstream for a lift out, which will take a lot of planning and time off work. Up to now I (and the rest of us) can still go to work even while on the helling.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)