Tuesday, October 10, 2017

High and dry again


Just a quickie this time as otherwise I won't get to post at all. It's that time again. The man with the hammer has been and given his verdict on the state of my bottom, or rather, the Vereeniging's. I can't believe that it's already five years since the last time, and unfortunately, those five years have taken their toll. My lovely old lady needs a few sticking plasters on her rear end. Luckily only one of these is urgent as I don't have the time or the welder to do anymore.



I guess I was hoping in vain for a clear bill of health and I took the risk of not calling my welding friends beforehand. There's always an uncertainty with these inspections. You never know what you need until after the hammer has fallen. If you reserve a welder in advance, the chances are that you won't need him; if you don't, then you do (if you get my drift). Well I didn't and I should have, but never mind; my wonderful neighbour, Tim, who helped us last time, is going to save my bacon again. Sadly, he has limited availability, so we are just doing the urgent patch for the moment. I'll definitely reserve him next spring though...as long as he's still around...and there lies another risk! Will he or won't he? When my helpers live on boats too, there's always the possibility that they'll fare away. But I won't worry about that for now! We have enough on our plates for the moment.

Wish us luck, my old girl and me. We have to be finished by Sunday so we need all the dry weather and good painting conditions we can get!


20 comments:

  1. Hope all goes well Val and you get all the immediate work done within your time constraints and get her back in the water where she belongs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol. It's always a lot of work for a week, but we'll get there!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the urgent repairs Val. It is the same with household maintenance - maybe you can get away with leaving things as they are, but then, who knows what is just around the corner! Happy Autumn days to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Patricia! As soon as I'm back in the water, I'll catch up with you again!

      Delete
  3. Very important to have a good strong bottom that will not leak when winter ice is on it's way h'm ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Mel. It's a very vital statistic! :)

      Delete
  4. Do hope you and your bottom are soon mended ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I'll take a bit longer, I'm afraid, but it'll get there!

      Delete
  5. I wish you well, Val. These are always anxious moments, aren't they? We're having our hull zinc-coated next year, which pretty much guarantees against rust. But we'll still worry! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you know that I know, Roger. It's the thing with boaters isn't it? We're all in this together!

      Delete
  6. Good luck Val and have a lovely Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Anglea! Thank you! You too, dear :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Val - I do hope your bottoms get happily patched up! Then can rest quietly over the winter before your 'delightful Tim' can help you early in 2018 ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best Val with the repairing and I hope the weather is fine for you. I admire your energy and all you achieve. Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julie! I think I'm daft sometimes, but I love my barge and it needs so much maintenance. My determination is greater than my energy most of the time :)

      Delete
  9. There's always something to do with that boat! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never a dull moment on the barge! I do hope the weather stays good for you. You deserve a rest after all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca! It has been very pleasant weather here the whole week. In that sense, I've been unfairly blessed (but don't tell anyone else!)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)