Monday, July 18, 2011

Post helling hiccoughs



I realise things have been rather quiet here, but there's a reason for that. It all has to do with the Marion Aagje. Mo and Craig's week on the slipway was long, hard work and they put in equally long hours to finish doing all the loud and dirty work that can only be done in the yard. The redundant mast was craned off, the mast foot unbolted, and lots of extraneous bits of steel were ground off by a determined Craig.

As I was still working, I could only help for limited amounts of time, but by the end of the week, most of the necessary welding, grinding, scraping and banging had been done. Then, the dreaded moment when they came off the slips. All seemed fine, until they got back to the mooring next to the Vereeniging. It was then the leak appeared. Water bubbled up and into the hold in rather worrisome quantities. Not sure of exactly where it was coming from, they covered every possible spot with quick drying cement, but the flow still kept flowing. Mo and I spent the best part of an afternoon excavating the now redundant and well solidified cement till we found the real source of the problem, but then, how to stop it? Well cement again did the trick - eventually - but not before I'd requested a return to the helling to pull it out of the water again. Mo managed to exert her will over the leak and pushed enough of the grey powdery stuff into it to finally halt the flow.

After that, well, the rain started, and it rained and it rained and it rained. Last Thursday, the 14th, poor Jodie came to visit for her birthday. It rained relentlessly the entire day, not just lightly, but torrentially, in fact so much that water leaked through my windows and into the bottom of the Vereeniging. Now I had a leak too, but this time from above, not below.

Anyhow, fortunately Friday dawned clear and bright. The sky was blissfully blue - the perfect day for painting. Mo, Craig and I set to it and spent the whole day painting the Marion Aagje from end to end and the results are in the photos above. I gave up around nine at night, but the kids went on and finally finished up at midnight. The barge looks gorgeous now, and I absolutely love the colours they have chosen. There's still loads for them to do, but the bulk of the work - outside at least - is done. What a job and what a week, but then that's life if you have a barge...as they say here 'koop een boot, werk je dood'...I don't think it's all too difficult to work out what that means....

11 comments:

  1. O how very annoying to have that happen, it could make one pull their hair out in frustration. As I said in my previous comment boats make work for the owners it is a constant occupation and a bit like having an old cottage too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, what a shame about the leak. So much work involved. and you worked until 9pm, after working! you have some energy Val. (likely love and dedication too :).)

    Ugh, how is dislike that type of torrential rain. Feels like you are just beaten by the rain. Thankfully, we won't be having that for about another 5 months. Glad you had a clearing on Friday with a bright and sun day.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you poor dears, having to do so much work and then being rewarded with buckets of rain. I am so glad the boat is fixed and that the clouds have passed.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I meant to add that the chosen colours are gorgeous. Well done!

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. A leak from below, every boats woner's worst nightmare. I am glad you got it sorted. A leak from above, well isn't that just par for the course! I think the barge looks great now and you are right the colours are wonderful. Time for a rest. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you dear ones. As you all appreciate (Fran in particular) working with boats is constant hard work, but in the end, we love it. My next post is going to be about my new office space. I am just so delighted with it, it's ridiculous! Watch my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much hard work! Looks lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the two chairs and table. time after the hard work and rains you and K sat down ;-) and said Ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "If you want to live on a barge, you have to work hard at it..." in so many words?

    The mere thought of all that labour makes me break into a sweat!
    But, again, there is that labour of love that turns work into (somewhat) pleasure - especially, when all is said and done, at the end of the day!
    I admire Mo and Craigs' dedication.
    As well, leaks must be akin to our landlubbers' having to mow the lawn once a week, or shovel the driveway ...

    I am sure that must be why it's called a "helling".

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. String and Gina. the hard work is rewarded by drinks on my 'terras', complete with table and chairs :)

    Dale, you have it very succinctly and I agree that 'helling' is a very good word for what it all involves :)

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)